- Student Services Building, I400
Room: 4th Floor, I4-410
Phone/Google Voice: 619-388-2709
- Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
Office hours vary. Please call or email for an appointment or for inquires. We will return your call or respond to your email within 1-2 business days.
- Program Email:
- CalWORKs Program Coordinator/Counselor:
ATTENTION ALL STUDENTS
Due to the current situation with COVID-19, our department will have limited services
and campus is closed until further notice. In addition to CalWORKs, all Student Support
Services can be found below:
Click here for a list of Online Student Support Services
For more information and updates, please visit the SDCCD Coronavirus news center here:
San Diego Mesa College- https://www.sdmesa.edu/covid19/index.shtml
CalWORKs Department Online/Remote Services
CalWORKS counselors and staff are still available to serve you. To support social distancing and to prevent potential exposure to COVID-19, the CalWORKs Office is offering appointments and support services by phone or video/chat utilizing the Zoom platform (online conferences). We will continue to provide remote services out of an abundance of caution. The CalWORKs Team is here to help you be succesful in your personal, professional and education goals.
[ *no spaces in password ]
*SEPTEMBER 18TH: NO DROP-IN
*OCTOBER 9TH: NO DROP-IN
*OCTOBER 30TH: NO DROP-IN
*NOVEMBER 27TH: NO DROP-IN, HOLIDAY
*Last Drop-In Session for fall 2020 is December 18th. Please check back for spring 2021 sessions.
> Please check back for new spring 2021 dates <
We are happy to annouce about this ongoing workshop to assist with the CalWORKs Cash Aid application process. For student parents who may have had a drastic change in your income especially during COVID 19 (i.e. lost your job), we encourage you to join and receive one-on-one assitance with our CalWORKs counselors and/or with one of the San Diego County Representatives.
Scheduling a Remote CalWORKs Counseling Appointment
Please read all the following information prior to scheduling a counseling appointment. Students seeking assistance with the following should make an appointment to see a
- Apply to the Mesa CalWORKs Program
- Book/Material Request form
- Individual Training Plan (ITP)
- Mesa CalWORKs Program Orientation
- Personal counseling
• Most appointments are an hour long and avialable over the phone or by a video conference via Zoom.
• A computer or smart device will be needed for Zoom/Video conference appointments.
Options to Schedule an appointment:
1. Submit an Appointment Request Form (recommended)-
2. Through email- firstname.lastname@example.org and expect a response within 1-2 business days.
3. Call our Phone/Google Voice number at- (619) 388-2709 between the hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Expect a response within 1-2 business days to schedule your appointment, followed by a confirmation email.
Be sure to include all of the following in your email and/or your phone request:
- Student Legal Name (Last name, first name)
- Student 10-digit ID number
- County CalWORKs case number
- Purpose of appointment (ex; ITP, Book/Material Request Form, Ed Plan, etc)
- Best phone number and email to reach you
- Three options of preferred appointment days and times
The day of your appointment:
- If you scheduled a telephone appointment you should receive a call from a CalWORKs counselor within five minutes from your appointment start time.
- If you scheduled a Zoom appointment, expect a Zoom meeting invitation link sent to your email from a CalWORKs counselor within one hour prior to your appointment
If you are not able to keep your scheduled appointment:
- Call the Mesa College CalWORKs phone/Google Voice at (619) 388-2709 or email us at email@example.com to cancel or reschedule your appointment
- Please note that remote CalWORKs counseling appointments will be treated the same as in-office appointments and you will need to reschedule if you are more than 10 minutes late to your phone call or Zoom meeting
What is CalWORKs?
The California Working for Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) is a public assistance program (welfare program) that provides cash aid and services to eligible needy California families that have
a child(ren) in the home.
San Diego Mesa College serves CalWORKs students and their families by providing educational and career opportunities combined with an array of high-quality support services that enable students to complete their educational goals, find meaningful employment, and successfully transition into the workforce.
- Currently a CalWORKs recipient receiving cash-aid for themselves and at least one child.
- Provide current cash-aid “Notice of Action” documentation from the county.
- Be in good standing with Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA).
- Be enrolled or plan to be enrolled at San Diego Mesa College at least part-time in a major that leads to employment.
- Complete a San Diego Mesa College CalWORKs Program Application
- Working towards one or more of the following:
- To improve work skills
- AA/AS Degree
- Transfer to a university
(You don't need a high school diploma or GED to participate)
CalWORKs students may also qualify for the CARE Program
Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE) is a program offered through the EOPS Program. CARE provides single parents receiving CalWORKs with additional support and services to enable economic self-sufficiency and an opportunity to attend college.
Who is eligible?
- Current EOPS student at San Diego Mesa College who is also:
- CalWORKs student or Parent of children receiving CalWORKs
- Single Head of Household
- Child(ren) under the age of 18
- Be at least 18 years of age
How do you apply for Cash Aid/ TANF?
*If you are currently a student at our campus and not receiving TANF cash aid you can apply for benefits on the following venues:
- Contact the Access call center at #1-866-262-9881
- Apply online at San Diego County at https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/ssp/calworks/how_to_apply.html
- Further support via-email at https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/ssp/contact-us.html
- Contact #211 for questions or/and concerns for referral services
- Schedule an appointment for application assistance at www.2enrollme.org
- Visit a Family Resource Center and apply in person; open up this link to upload all Family Resource Centers locations in County of San Diego at http://sdhcc.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/County-of-San-DiegoFRCtable1.pdf
- Academic, Career and Personal Counseling
- Student Educational Plan assistance
- Priority Registration
- Personal Development and Academic Success Workshops
- Student Services and community referrals
- Transportation, books, supplies and emergency cost assistance
- Work study opportunity
- Advocacy and Coordination with county Health and Human Services Administration
CalWORKs County Services and Requirements
CalWORKs students participating in an approved Welfare to Work activity receives supplemental services from the county that includes:
- Textbook and supportive services
- College Health, parking, and student ID fees paid